Mike's Random Scribbles

My thoughts on books I've read, movies I've seen, or just whatever random junk clutters up my head...

Sunday, August 07, 2005

"Princess Academy"

(This is the first "book review" post I'm making, so I'm experimenting with Amazon links. Hopefully they won't be too messed up.)

The book I just finished is The Princess Academy, by Shannon Hale.


  • Type: Children's Fantasy (Ages 10 and up? I'm not an expert.)
  • Rating: G (some violence, nothing graphic)
  • Target Gender: F (It's about girls and for girls, but not so mushy that I couldn't read it)
It's a children's book, I'd guess targeted at the same age range as the Harry Potter books.

Basically, a prophecy reveals that the new queen of the kingdom must come from a very poor village on the outskirts, so all the girls in the village are dragged off to princess school. :) It's a good premise, and it leads to a well-written and original story. The setting is well fleshed out, with an interesting mix of characters.

Avoid the Amazon reviews if you can; as usual, one of them winds up revealing the "final twist", although the book was still a good read with that spoiled.

I'd recommend it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home