Mike's Random Scribbles

My thoughts on books I've read, movies I've seen, or just whatever random junk clutters up my head...

Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Reading...

I've been reading way too many books for a long time, now. It started in grade school, with Tom Swift, the Hardy Boys, and Nancy Drew, and it's still going on these days with SF and Fantasy novels of various flavours.

The main thing that's changed is that now, I read about as many e-books as paper books. PDAs have gotten to the point where reading is very comfortable on them, at least for me. I've got 2 very useable reading devices, my Sony Clie palm os device (model PEG-TH55 to be more precise) and my new phone, a Samsung SCH-i730.

The Clie has a much bigger and higher resolution screen, with a 320x480 pixel resolution. But the phone is, well, a phone :) So I might eventually put the Clie away and just carry the phone, cutting down on the number of gadgets I need to charge every night.

I bought my first ebooks many ages ago from PeanutPress, which became Palm Books (I think) and is now EReader. But nowadays, I buy most books at Fictionwise, since they support more ebook formats.

Another decent source of ebooks is Embiid, but their pipeline of new books has gotten pretty sparse in the past year. They're still the only game in town for Sharon Lee and Steve Miller Liad ebooks, though.

I'll probably post a few articles later about the "fun" I've been having getting the Samsung phone working correctly. Tracking down a decent web browser and e book readers for it has been an interesting challenge.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home